Friday, November 12, 2010

Justin's favorite vegetable soup

When I was just starting to experiment with cooking, I made this soup all the time. My family has a guy named Justin living with us, and this was his favorite thing I made.


It’s hard to write a recipe for it, because I change it every time I make it, and I never measure, but here is the general idea. Use what you have around, add and subtract as necessary.


Onions
Garlic
Carrots
Green peppers
Shredded cabbage
Can of diced tomatoes or tomato paste
Can of black beans, or a few handfuls of black beans that you pre soak
Vegetable or chicken stock
Cumin (lots)
Cayenne pepper
Black pepper
Olive oil
Lemon or lime juice (optional)
Cocoa (optional)


Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil in a big pot. Add soup stock. If you have a blender, blend up the can of diced tomatoes and some of the beans. This will give the soup some extra thickness. Put in all the spices, the tomatoes and the beans. Add the vegetables in shifts so they don’t get mushy. Add the cabbage only a few minutes before the soup is done. Let the soup simmer for a while. Add more spices as necessary. Sprinkle a little cheese on top if you have it. Make some garlic bread, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So I get the idea of adding whatever you have on hand, but "green papers"...really? :). Brings recycling to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete