Monday, October 4, 2010

Cornbread

Ok, so I really didn't want to be the first to post.  But I was so excited about my new find that I just couldn't help myself!  Cornbread is one of my favorite foods and I've been craving it since arriving in Uganda.  I had no luck finding cornmeal (the essential ingredient) and maize flour just isn't the same thing.  Last week, I saw a box of polenta at Kissimente Millenium.  Turns out that polenta is the exact same thing as cornmeal - you can use it in your cornbread recipe cup for cup.  Most grocery stores in Kampala carry polenta.

Sweet Cornbread Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Directions


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).  Grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder.  Stir in egg, milk, and vegetable oil until well combined.  Pour batter into pan.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment